Alder Dress

4.25.2015


After falling in love with the butt ruffle Archer I knew that I needed to get my hands on the dress equivalent - the Alder.  Now I should probably say that when this pattern first came out I was kind of "ehh" about it, mostly because I get the feeling that View A is not the most flattering cut on me.  But then View B's popped up all around the internet and I was sold!


You know what else popped up on the internet - warnings that this dress runs on the short side and it definitely does.  Here's another warning for you - don't try to be lazy and just trace out the size 18 length for size 2 pieces because they don't line up correctly.  Trust me - I learned this lesson learned the hard way.  Use those shorten/lengthen lines that Jen so kindly put on the pattern.  I was able to work a little magic to get the mismatched front pieces sewn together but there's some definite gentle waves in the fabric where the piece was too long.  Aesthetically, it doesn't look too bad nor is it very noticeable, but it drives me a bit crazy knowing that it's not supposed to be there.


The dress is sewn up in a lovely navy double gauze that I purchased from Drygoods Design and all I have to say is "why, oh why, did it take me so long to try out this fabric?"  I now want to wrap myself in nothing but double gauze.  And it's a great option for a flowy dress like this, although I'm concerned that it may be tad see-through if I stand directly in the sun.  I'll have to do a bit more investigation into that potentially embarrassing possibility.


I think this dress is going to be a great option for summer since it's so light and airy but until summer gets here I've been wearing it with tights and a cardigan thrown on top because I'm perpetually cold.


Also, many thanks and big high fives to O for taking these pictures.  And many thanks to C for mastering the art of the photo bomb.


Now get out of my pictures!

8 comments:

  1. Looks very nice, I can only imagine how the fabric feels! I had a photo bomber yesterday too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little photobomber! Double gauze is a genius choice for this dress, and the length looks perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I like it a lot! Nice color choice too! The Archer is on my sewing wishlist, as well as double gauze. Everyone says double gauze is a dream to sew with, but I have yet to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whooooa. you look seriously, s e r i o u s l y amazing! the dress looks fabulous on you. i love your tights, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am addicted to double gauze now! This dress looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress and tights! Cute kiddos too! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greta photo bomb pic! I love the colour of the fabric and it looks fabulous. I've sat on a muslin for a shirtdress for so long now, I must get back onto it after seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh i bet this is amazing to wear! an alder is still on my 'to make" list, but i really do need a couple spring/summer dresses i can throw on in a pinch. love the color of this too!!!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!