Ikat Blazer (How's That For a Creative Title?)

3.09.2014



Well, I'm still trying to sew from my stash when I can, but what can I say?  Sometimes a girl's gotta buy a little fabric (especially when said fabric is 20% off) and that's just what I did a couple weeks ago. I've been meaning to try out the blazer pattern from Simplicity 2250 for a couple months now but I wanted to be able to pick out the fabric for it in person to make sure that the weight would be right and with life being crazy right now it took a while to find time to make it to a real fabric store.  But I'm so glad that I waited because I love this fabric with the design of the blazer.  The fabric is a cotton twill with a little bit a stretch to it so it'll be easy to wash (something that I always appreciate) without looking overly casual.


When I told Ben what I was planning on making with the fabric he looked at me like that was the worst idea that he's ever heard.  It's possible that he just didn't like the fabric, but it's more likely that he was thinking of all the things that can go wrong in sewing a blazer.  Fortunately this is the simplest jacket/blazer you can image.  There is a facing for the front panels so that it looks nice when open but the rest of the jacket is unlined.


Because it's unlined I got all fancy and did french seams on the inside seams that aren't covered by the facing and I eliminated the back seam, but that was mostly because I didn't want anything breaking up the ikat pattern on the back.


As for the size, I cut out a straight size 10 but I slimmed the waist line a tiny bit to give the blazer a bit more definition in the waistline.  I also sewed all the bias binding on by hand to give the jacket a cleaner finish (plus, I kind of suck at sewing binding on with the machine).  I have to say that the length of this blazer is perfect (which is a miracle since I was super-lazy and I didn't make a muslin) but I wish that I had made the sleeves full length rather than 3/4 length.  Oh well.  Perhaps having my wrists cold will just motivate me to make another one of these suckers!


19 comments:

  1. A very lovely jacket. I actually think the 3/4 sleeves look great, but cold wrists are not very fun at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. just wow! this is so awesome! i love the fabric and it looks fantastic on you! you are on a roll, girl! (whistle, whistle!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great once again! Maybe you need to knit some wrist warmers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, cold wrists and all! I love that perfect combo of pattern and material. This is a piece I'd love to have. Blazers sound pretty scary, but this looks pretty do-able. Maybe deceptively so? Feeling inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks really great! i've sewn little kid blazers but one for me seems scary - though it looks like it really isn't if you have the right pattern, eh? well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have thought to use that ikat for the blazer, but it really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool looking blazer! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good missus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! Nice decision for the one piece back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. EEEEEEEEEEE! (That's actually the sound I made when this came up in my feed.) I love this! I wear this sort of thing all the time, it's perfect for my job - why haven't I tried sewing one? I agree with others - I love the 3/4 length sleeves. I think that is the perfect length for people like me who type all day, and it really screams "summer blazer" to me. I think I'd wear this with an ivory blouse and red (or other bright color) skirt ... okay, I am seriously going to sew myself a blazer. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa this is too fabulous! The perfect use for that fabric. I have the matching maritime shorts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love Ikat! Its a beautiful blazer, I would never have picked that pattern and expected it to look as awesome as that! I feel lucky I have it in my stash now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fantastic. I think the shorter sleeves work well with this fabric as it gives it a more casual feel. bravo. Blazer sewing would intimidate me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh...I love this. I don't own a blazer and would love to sew one and add it to my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This jacket is so cool! I love the graphic ikat print!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very Nice!!!

    Greettings from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey I just saw this jacket. I love it! I made one too last year and it's pretty similar. http://mswabisabi.blogspot.co.nz/2014/12/simplicity-2250.html

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!