2014

12.31.2013


As the year comes to an end, I've found myself trying to do all the things that I've been putting off for the past 12 months (or seven years, as the case may be).  I've gone through closets and toy bins and cabinets, getting rid of all the things that we no longer need, use, or want.  It became abundantly clear in the past year that "stuff" doesn't just occupy a place in your home.  Rather, "stuff" requires work, whether it's cleaning it, putting it away, moving it around, or taking it out.  And quite honestly, I'd rather spend 2014 putting my efforts into people, not "stuff."  I've also been ticking off tasks that have been on my mental to-do list for far too long (like the curtain rod that we literally bought seven years ago but have just gotten around to hanging up.  Thanks, Ben!).  It feels incredibly good to be getting things done.

And as the year comes to an end, I've also been thinking about the coming year and what's in store for our little family.  Last year was the year that I often repeated to myself, "something is better than nothing."  Ben jokingly referred to this as the lazy man's motto but I have to tell you that this mantra often pushed me to do many things that I wouldn't have otherwise tried to do because I didn't have the perfect amount of time, or the perfect skill level, or the perfect tools.  It may not be the most eloquent of sayings, but it served me well in 2013.

As for the coming year, I find myself constantly returning to the idea that "life is a marathon, not a sprint" (and I blame this firmly on the TED Radio Hour episode on grit.  Damn you, NPR, and your awesome radio shows).  There's a lot that needs to get done around here in the coming year, some of which is not very exciting (like taking a math class.  Blah!) but 2014 will hopefully be about sticking with things, even when you rather not.  And when I feel like throwing my hands in the air in surrender I hope that I'll remember that there's no better way to teach your children a life skill than by demonstrating it for them.

So here's  to a very happy new year to you and your loved one.  May your 2014 be filled with much peace, love, and joy!

7 comments:

  1. And back at you and your loved ones! Carolyn, I'm always happy to see when you've posted. I know you're taking some crazy classes out there and are so busy with your little ones, I hope you can continue to find time to blog and make me smile! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I always love reading about what's going on in your world. And I look forward to listening to the podcasts on grit. Thanks for sharing. I wish you much happiness (and grit?) :) in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Something is better than nothing." That is right up my alley! Haha! Love it.

    Happy new year, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy new year to you too, carolyn! i'm so glad we were able to meet up in 2013 - it was the major highlight of a truly crappy work trip! always love your projects and love seeing you knit again, too.

    oh and totally with you on the "just get those little annoying projects done" mode. for me it's a pregnancy thing but it feels sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally got bath panels fitted this year that had been around for about 7 or 8 years, I'm glad I'm not the only one that can procrastinate quite so long ;o)

    Hope you all have a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know - your whole "Something's better than nothing" motto really stuck with me, and I've decided to co-opt it for my 2013 (forget that whole marathon business, I get tired just thinking about it). Post here - http://www.inderlovesfolkart.com/2014/01/somethings-better-than-nothing.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's another: Some math is better than no math, but the more math, the better! I hope that math class has you so excited about math that you decide to do more for fun. I'm a sewist too and I'm coming to grips with a truth about me...I love math! Without math, how do you know exactly how big a scrap of fabric is needed to bind a terrific quilt?

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!