The Jacket That Makes Me Want To Sing Billy Joel Songs

2.05.2013


You know what's the best?  When you go to make a certain pattern only to find out that you've already traced and cut out the right size.  It's almost as good as when you put on an old coat, only to find five dollars in the pocket.  Score!

Lucky for me, that's just what happened when I took out the Uptown Girl Jacket pattern to make a new coat for O.  "Past Carolyn" obviously knew that "Present Carolyn" was going to want to make this for three year old O and therefore kindly traced and cut out the correct size.  Thanks, "Past Carolyn."  You're the best!

Since the pattern pieces were all cut out, all that I had to do was choose which fabrics to use.  For the outside I chose some white cotton shirting that has little chartreuse dots on it. I originally bought this fabric online intending to make a blouse for myself but I also originally thought that the dots were yellow and I didn't discover that they're more on the green side until they arrived on my doorstep. Oh well.  That's just the reality of buying fabric online sometimes.  For the lining I used some Robert Kaufman cotton lawn leftover from this project.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough to line the entire jacket so I chose to just cut those pieces that would show when the coat was buttoned up in the cotton lawn and I cut those pieces that wouldn't show in the same fabric as the outside.


The last time I made this coat, I lined it with fleece to make it a bit warmer and therefore more wearable, but this time I chose to quilt the outer layer to add some warmth (inspired by this fantastic little coat).  Can I just say that quilting children's clothes in an awesome way to use up leftover pieces of batting from past quilt projects?  Now quilting each piece definitely added to the time that it took to make this project, but fortunately this is an amazingly simple little jacket to put together.  Just sew the outside pieces together, sew the lining pieces together, sew the two together, turn them inside out, bada-bing, bada-boom, you basically have a jacket.


But best of all is that you have a kid who loves her new jacket (despite what these faces may lead you to believe).


As I was trying it on O, I asked her if she would wear this and she replied, "Oh yes.  I'll definitely wear my new coat."


And this momma is definitely glad to hear that.

Pattern: Uptown Girl Jacket by Make It Perfect
Size: Size 3 (given that O turns four in about four months and that this jacket is still a bit large on her, I'm thinking that this pattern runs a bit big)
Modifications:  Since I quilted the outer layer of the coat, I left off all of the interfacing that it called for. I also did this with my past version of the coat that I lined with fleece.

16 comments:

  1. I love it! My great grandma made me a quilted coat when I was about that age and I adored it! O is so adorable and so very grown up! Almost four?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. for goodness sake, that jacket is too cute! and, as always, so is o!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Love the dots and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fab and customer approved too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute--and really fun to see how much she's grown since the last time you made this coat! She's so little in that link! Love the rolled-up cuffs showing the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So now I have Billy Joel stuck in my head! (Things could be worse.) The quilting looks great. Did you quilt the outside pieces together with batting before you put anything else together? I'm just trying to picture how and when the quilting step happens. I love O's attitude :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting idea is brilliant. Bet it's nice and cozy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of a quilted jacket! This is super cute. And thanks for giving me that Billy to live with for the rest of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's adorable!!! I love it and her funny faces! She's really growing up!!! Tell her to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is gorgeous! you are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. also, do you think i could do it? i think this is adorable and i would love to give it a go. this is the year of completely selfish sewing at my house! i am only sewing the shit i want to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic!!! And I love O's faces. Some things don't change!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really love it - the quilting takes it to the next level, I think. Oh and that hood lining looks familiar...have I seen that recently? *creepy wink*

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this pattern and your quilting and fabric are brilliant! I have a size 3 traced and I was thinking I missed my window, but maybe not! Better get to it quick. O is the cutest ever, and I mean EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable jacket!! So is your daughter:)

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!