Wool Trousers

1.20.2012

Sometimes I wonder where inspiration comes from and sometimes it's abundantly clear.  And it just so happens that these pants fall into the latter category because when it came to sewing these little suckers I was no doubt inspired by the amazingly cute boy's clothes created for this round of Project Run and Play.


The pattern is the Basic Pocket Pants pattern from Meg McElwee's Growing Up Sew Liberated.  For the fabric I turned to my stashed and pulled out yards and yards of wool suiting sample yardage that I bought years ago. The fabric is really unique as it's composed of different suiting patterns so that a fabric store can chose which ones it wants to order (and did I mention that it was cheap, cheap, cheap when I bought it?).


I've always day-dreamed about making a dress out of this fabric but I'm afraid that on me it would just come off as crazy-looking rather than funky-looking so I bit the bullet and cut into the fabric for these little trousers, choosing to make both the pants, the casing, and the bias binding all from the wool suiting (leaving off the cuffs in the process).  In cutting out the pattern I thought that I was diligent in lining up the stripes but apparently I wasn't because the front stripes are around an inch off from one another (damn it!).


Apart from the mismatched stripes though, I love these little pants.  They are a simple and classic cut but can be dressed up or down depending on what contrast fabric (or fabrics) you chose to use).  Plus, as much as I love making dresses for O, pants are really far more practical considering it's pretty chilly around here 9 months out of the year.  So watch out world - you may be seeing many more versions of these pants in the future.



Pattern: Basic Pocket Pants from Growing Up Sew Liberated
Size: Cut out a size 2T with a 3T length because I omitted the cuffs
Fabric: Wool suiting sample yardage

12 comments:

  1. Fabulous job. Your LO looks so cute in her entire get-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute I love that fabric! I skipped the cuffs when I made them too, I love skipping steps in patterns. For someone who claims to like sewing I'm sure good at avoiding it :). It seems like this pattern might be a better fit for girls. I noticed during KCWC that I wasn't the only one with bunching crotch issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Och, she doesn't look bothered by line mismatches ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I love this tailored, suit-ish look for a little girl! And what awesome fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute! I love this fabric choice for a girl. Lovely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are such an amazing seamstress! seriously, you always inspire me to sew clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous20.1.12

    YOU'RE WELCOME. ;)

    (seriously cute pants!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great! Pants are much more practical than dresses in this house, too. I've had this pattern traced for months, but got scared off by some reviews of bunching issues. Looks like yours fit great though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What amazing pictures of Miss O. and what fun pants! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! And as much as I love dresses, I love to see girls in practical, warm, ACTIVE clothes too! Well done! (I've made a couple versions of these pants too - they're awesome.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute and unique! What a fun way to use sample yardage. This also reminds me that I have a pair of pocket pants that need need elastic...and my son could definitely use another pair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Of COURSE you could pull off a pattern in Sew Liberated.
    If I lived closer to you I would beg you for a sewing lesson.
    XO

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!