Love At First Taste

2.01.2011

Do you believe in love at first sight?

No offense to my husband, but that's really not my thing.  I'm far too practical (much to my detriment at times) to believe in love at first sight.

Or atleast I was.

You see, a certain soup recipe book has won me over.

Allow me to introduce my new love: The New England Soup Factory cookbook

It's a beautiful cookbook, filled with tempting pictures and many, many recipes.  But what really won me over was tasting one of the soups made from this book...the Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder. 

Be still my heart.  I'm in love.

Perhaps you could fall in love too.

Recipe for Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder from New England Soup Factory cookbook by Marjorie Druker (my new secret crush):

7 large sweet potatoes, peeled, divided
4 tablespoons of butter
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
8 cups of chicken stock (I just used vegetable)
5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 cups heavy cream (I used a bit less)
1 can (16 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (16 oz) creamed corn
salt and pepper to taste


1.  In a 3 qt pot bring salted water to boil.  Dice two of the seven sweet potatoes and add to them to the boiling water.  Boil for 10 minutes, drain them in a strainer, rinse them with cool water and set them aside.  


2.  Chop the remaining five sweet potatoes.


3.  In a stock pot melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic, onion, celery, carrots and the five chopped sweet potatoes and saute for ten minutes.  Add the stock and bring to a boil.  Once it has reached a boil reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft (approximately 30 minutes).


4. Remove the pot from the heat and add the Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, coriander and cream.  Puree the soup in the pot using a submersion blender until it is smooth and creamy.  Add the sweet potatoes that you previously set aside, the whole kernel corn and the creamed corn.


5. Return to the stove and simmer an additional five to seven minutes.


6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A comment? For me? You're the best!